If you have done research about Canadian schools and the cost of studying in Canada, you will discover that Canadian schools are not the cheapest. They are likely not the most expensive, but considering the standard and quality of education they offer, you mostly do not tag the money spent as ‘too expensive.
There are great universities in Canada among the best in the world, and when you look at the benefits of studying in Canada plus how conducive the country is, you’d have no other option but just wish to be there. International students submit thousands of applications each year to get a chance to study and live in Canada.
Studying in Canada is not cheap, but there are means through which students are affording or financing their studies such as scholarships, grants, student loans, student jobs, etc. As part of the benefits international students enjoy, the Canadian government allows international students to take up jobs in Canada while still studying in school.
There are also scholarships provided for domestic and international students in Canada as a way to aid students to finance their studies. Some of the scholarships provided are fully funded, and many others are partially funded. The sources of these scholarships are the Canadian government, private or nonprofit organizations in Canada or outside Canada, Canadian universities, etc.
Different types of Scholarships in Canada
Scholarships Provided By the Canadian Government
This type of scholarship is hosted or provided by the Canadian government for studies in Canada. So students looking to study in Canada can benefit from this scholarship.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Brief Description: Scholarship for Postgraduate international students who are taking a course program in the field of natural sciences or health research at an accredited university in Canada
- Amount: $3000
Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program
- Brief Description: scholarship provided by the Canadian government for doctoral international students studying in a Canadian university
- Amount: $6000
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
- Brief Description: A famous scholarship provided by the Canadian government for doctoral international students studying in a Canadian university.
- Amount: $7,000
NSERC Postgraduate scholarships
- Brief Description: A Merit-Based Scholarship provided by the Canadian government and awarded to outstanding international students who are taking a course program in the field of natural sciences or engineering at an accredited university in Canada
- Amount: $9000
Scholarships Provided By the Non-Governmental Organizations
Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships
- Brief Description: Aspiring doctoral students studying at an accredited institution in Canada is eligible to receive this award.
- Amount: $4,000
Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship
- Brief Description: This scholarship is available for students in the following levels high school, undergraduate, or graduate student. You are required to submit an essay or a personal statement.
- Amount: $2000
Canada Memorial Scholarship
- Brief Description: All British Postgraduate students studying at an accredited or recognized school in Canada are eligible to apply for this scholarship
- Amount: $5000
Some University Scholarships in Canada
Carleton University Awards for International Students
- Brief Description: Graduate scholarship available for all international students to study at Carleton University
- Amount: $6000
UBC Graduate Scholarships https://www.grad.ubc.ca/scholarships-awards-funding/award-opportunities
- Brief Description: Scholarship award given to qualified graduate and doctoral students to study at the University of British Columbia
- Amount: $8000
University of Alberta International Scholarships
- Brief Description: a variety of scholarships provided by the University of Alberta for international Undergraduates and Graduate students.
- Amount: $5,000
University of Calgary International Scholarships
- Brief Description: Scholarships are provided for international students to study at any level and in different course programs.
- Amount: $20000
University of Manitoba
- Brief Description: Scholarships provided for international and domestic undergraduate students at the University
- Amount: $11,500
University of Toronto Ontario Graduate Scholarship http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Ontario-Graduate-Scholarship.aspx
- Brief Description: The Ontario Graduate Scholarship is available for domestic and international students studying at the University of Saskatchewan
- Amount: $5,000
University of Saskatchewan International Student Awards
- Brief Description: this is a merit-based scholarship is available for undergraduate international students who wish to study an undergraduate course program offered at the university.
- Amount: $1,500 – $10,000